Our History

Our History

The people of the church started meeting together around 1870, when Archie Mullen started a Sunday School in a small rural Wisconsin town called Keystone. This is now the township of Cleveland in rural Cornell, Wisconsin.

Meetings were held in homes until 1885. Then people met together in the first Cleveland Center School. Rev. Priddy of Bloomer and Rev. Hulbert of Turtle Lake assisted in organizing a church.

The people's labor came to fruition with the building of the First Congregational Church on June 12, 1893.

The building was located at the intersection of county roads E and Z in the township of Cleveland, Wisconsin.

    
       

The church has been meeting continuously from 1893 to present except for a brief period in the mid-1930's when it was closed. Keystone was a Congregational church from 1893 until the mid 1930's.

1937 - The church was re-opened as part of the Wisconsin Rural Missions Church. 

1986 - Keystone joined the Christian and Missionary Alliance denomination.

1990 - A log church was built four miles down the road (24288 County Highway Z) from the original site. 

2000  - An addition was added to the church for Sunday School rooms and offices.
 
PICTURES BELOW OF THE PROCESS TO BUILD THE LOG BUILDING IN 1990
  
 
 
  The front entrance
                                 Sanctuary looking North
                                 2000 Addition  - Steel Roof added 2009

"Thou has made us for Thyself and our heart is restless till it rests in Thee" ~ St. Augustine